Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Wednesday 9 January - Tramway T1

Tramway T1 is a disaster. I joined it at Les Courtilles, the western terminus, and the line will be extended further west early this year. The trams are small, incompatible with other Paris trams, and are always heavily overcrowded.  A western extension is only going to make things worse.
At Courtilles showing the soon to be opened line extension to the west.
 All along the route there were frequent stops for traffic lights that had not been properly synchronized with the tramway. To make matters worse there was a lengthy delay at St-Denis where the signal stayed obstinately at red. This is where there is a four diamond crossing with tramway T8. The driver had to get authority to pass the signal at danger - while another tram on line T8 was closely approaching the crossing.  By this time the next tram was closing up on us. At Hopital Delafontaine there was an announcement that our tram, although dangerously overcrowded, was terminating, It took some time to get everyone out and our tram took off to change tracks to go back to Courtilles. The next tram was even more crowded.
Hopital Delafontaine
I caught the next tram but one and bailed at La Courneuve 8 Mai 1945 where I caught the metro into town, It seems the trams are too small and they should either be doubled up or run more frequently. The clearances are very tight in places and with frequent highway intersections one wonders it it might not have been better to have put it underground.
Courneuve 8 Mai 1945
Gare de l'Est

I took a look into Galeries Lafayettes after the holiday rush and managed a look on the glass walk which has been constructed under the art deco dome. It is pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment